Breakfast on Pluto
rated - TEPID
Many episodes not going anywhere much
There are 5 good reasons to see this film:
So why is it that I didn't like it much?
- The amazing performance by Cillian Murphy as the cross-dressing
heroine, Patrick Braden (aka Kitten)
- The fact that the film is directed by Neil Jordan
- The great supporting cast, including Liam Neeson, Stephen Rea and
- The fact that it is based on the book by Pat McCabe (The Butcher
- A terrific 70s pop soundtrack.
I guess I didn't believe in the character of Kitten. So strong,
so resilient, so sure of herself.
The structure of the film, too, is a problem. 35 chapters, each named,
tend to interrupt the flow of the film, even as they make it seem like
the many chapters in a novel by Dickens, which the story does resemble,
in a way.
And then there were the talking robins! A real mis-step from Mr
Jordan. Were they meant to look so false?